Some tips on keeping hands warm:
- Lobster gloves work for colder temps than regular gloves, and mittens work even better than them.
- Pogies work best if you store your bike inside, such that the handlebars are pre-warmed.
- Keeping arms well insulated helps keep fingers warm.
- Oversized is much better than undersized--compressing fingers reduces circulation and compressing insulation reduces its effectiveness.
- A material like fleece that is harder to compress is best for the palm, such that gripping a cold handlebar doesn't wipe out the insulation capability.
- A stiff fabric over the insulation may also lead to excessive compression of insulation--if the fabric doesn't bend easily, the insulation must be compressed to lead it to bend.